Sunday 9 June 2013

STORYTIME - THE DAY I DIDN'T DO MY HOMEWORK

One day, about 2 years ago, I got a phone call, asking if I could play a last-minute gig that same evening at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow. Having never performed there as a solo artist I jumped at the chance.

The gig was supporting the legendary-by-all-accounts Peter Murphy, who was once the frontman of Bauhaus, a highly influential band in the early days of goth-rock. I honestly wasn't familiar with them at all at this point. Not my usual cup of tea, but hey, this was a foot in the door with King Tut's and DF Concerts, so I happily went along with my wee hat on and my acoustic guitar.

When I arrived at the venue, Peter's band were soundchecking, and there was Peter, looking all goth-rocky, singing away and playing his guitar, and actually looking a lot younger than I had expected. After they were done I went up to him, told him it was a pleasure to be playing with him, and generally fake-schmoozing because I felt I should. But he was looking at me like I was a total weirdo and not saying much at all. Then he went away to the green room.

Anyway, I minced my way through my little set of solo country songs, and got a surprisingly good response from the sold-out venue of hard rock fans. I went and had a drink, and then went to watch Peter's band play.

"But wait. Who's that skinny older guy singing and prancing around the stage?" I thought to myself. "Hmm, he must have one of his mates doing a wee guest spot".

Then I asked the girl who was repping the gig, and she says: "That's the guy. That's Peter Murphy"

OHHHH NOOOOO!!! It turns out that although I had done my pre-gig homework to find out who Peter Murphy was, I hadn't actually looked at a picture of him. No wonder the guy I was schmoozing with thought I was a weirdo! His name was MARK! Of course Peter Murphy doesn't soundcheck his own bloody microphone! He's too busy being a brooding bloody legend backstage!

The gig rep just laughed in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment